[Sca-cooks] Help at Feasts (was: Feast steward at the crossroads)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 10:38:30 PDT 2003

We have had some bad luck with "helpers" at feasts. Originally, they
got in free. Their names were at The Gate and they got checked off
the list.

Unfortunately, a number showed up, got in free, but somehow never
made it to the kitchen...

So a new policy was instituted. Helpers came in, they paid for the
feast, their names were checked off a list at Gate. The cook also had
a list and noted who worked in the kitchen, and those who actually
helped were reimbursed at the end of the feast.

That way we didn't lose money on those who didn't do an honest day's work.

Another thing i've done with my feasts is have a separate table in
the hall for my helpers near the kitchen door most distant from High
Table. When a course is served, they get to go out and sit and eat
and watch or participate in the entertainment. I can pop out of the
kitchen and get folks if i need them, so i'm not abandoned. Heck, i
may even sit down for 15 minutes during a course if all is going
smoothly.

Anahita