[Sca-cooks] "Feast dook"

Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com
Fri May 23 11:03:06 PDT 2003

> > As a feast Dook
>
> Hehehe, I like that title.  Are you a Duke, or just the multiple-time
> King of Feasting?

Thpbbb!
So I can't touch type very well!
Feast COOK, OK?
(although I have yet to cook any really BIG events, cause my Barony still
refuses to put me in the local "pantheon of cooks". we are blessed with so
many talented chefs that most events are cooked by people in the regular
rotation and I rarely get out of the bullpen)

> I'm not crazy about the idea either.
> Fortunately, someone else is making the lunch
> and she can probably be convinced to do it as
> a dayboard.  I only mentioned it because the
> budget cited was $1500 which included
> both the lunch and dinner.

hint: If you are not responsible for the dayboard, make sure that you get a
firm breakout and line item in the budget (x amount for dayboard... y
amount for feast) and dont let the book keeping roll it all up into a
single item.
It should be clear where your responsibilities lie, and exactly what and
how much _you_ are responsible for.
To do otherwise is asking for trouble, IMHO.
(And don't let them rope you into providing/recruiting labor for the
dayboard. That is the other cook's job.)
If you are not responsibe for the dayboard you need to keep the "wall"
between the functions intact, or it will become a total distraction.
Work out kitchen space with the other cook well ahead of time, and stick to
YOUR timetable, regardless of how well the other cook handle's hers...
Ah, but you probably already know all this...

> > Don't stand for this.
>
> Oh, I'm not.  I just sent off a very firm note to Madame Autocrat and
explained
> it all to her.  I even used my title and all the alphabet soup, which I
really
> do NOT do unless I have a very good reason to throw my weight around.  I
have
> been assured by other baronial officers that things will change for the
better,
> I was just very shocked and appalled when her letter first showed up.

Good. You _want_ Madame Autocrat thinking:
"Ohhhh! that's right! you are THAT Selene! I guess you must know what you
are talking about, then!"

It is _way_ too easy for Autocrats to become so wrapped up in the running
of things that the lose sight of WHO the workers ARE, and often wind up
merely seeing then in light of WHAT they are doing.
I know... I was chiefly known for autocratting in my Barony until I took a
patial hiatus form the SCA a number of years ago.

Brandu