[Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 03:31:45 PDT 2003

> I have got to find a decent recipe for butterbeer- the ones I've seen
> basically have you pouring melted butter into root beer. *Gag* Apparently
> it is mildly alcoholic (my guess is 3%). Don't the Tibetans have something
> made out of butter that is about that strong? Or am I misremembering?
>
> 'Lainie
> -only mildly obsessed :-/

My version of butter beer is an Italian pop made with Almond Roca [tm]
flavor of Torani's syrup with carbonated water.  That particular flavor
has enough of a "buttery" character to qualify, and the kids on whom
I've tested it have all pronounced it excellent butter beer.

My preferred version of "pumpkin juice" is Sobe's orange-carrot tonic.
Maybe shake a little powdered cinnamon to complete the "pumpkin pie"
taste complex.

Someone asked about the drinking age in the UK... when I visted
England in 1979, it was 19.  I was 19 and a half.  Yay!  My dad
bought my my first legal drink a couple of years early at the Sherlock
Holmes Pub on Baker Street.

Yes, I have two copies reserved on Amazon [US HB and UK
adult cover] as well as a planned trip to a bookstore with the
local Harry Potter For Grownups yahoo group.  In costume.
Freaking the mundanes, you'll come a-freaking the mundanes with meeee! o/ o/

Selene Colfox