Sherlock Holmes Was: [Re: [Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu May 8 03:31:33 PDT 2003

At 04:28 AM 5/8/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Dumas has the same problem.  Most American editions abridge The Three
>Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.  I have an unabridged edition of
>the latter from my grandmother's library, 1100+ pages of very fine print.
>Compared to the intracacies of the unabridged version, the abridged versions
>read like a plot outline of a high school paper.
>
>Bear

Riiight. But who writes like that anymore? Not when you have film rights in
the back of your head before you finish your outline, and everyone knows if
you can't condense it to 2 1/2 hours no one will plunk down $7.50 for a
ticket (and I know it's more expensive there so hush Adamantius) and you
might end up in the horrors of tv miniseries-land.

There's no market for real writing anymore. Too few of us genuinely read
for pleasure.

'Lainie
-wondering if there's any hope for the nascent novel in the A drive.