[Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri May 9 03:52:38 PDT 2003

Also sprach Bronwynmgn at aol.com:
>Well, we met a Hungarian girl who was also a great HP fan.  We discovered,
>from reading her T-shirt, that in Hungarian "Hogwarts Schools" is something
>like "Rocksford School".  I thought maybe Hogwarts meant somethng rude in
>Hungarian, so I asked a friend who is fluent in it, but she said no, neither
>word means anything, so she has no idea why they changed it.

Interesting! When I awakened my son this morning at six, with,
instead of the usual, "Get up, you rotter, it's time for school,"
asking "What is the name of the Hungarian magic school in the fourth
Harry Potter book," he sat up in bed and said, "Durmstrang!"

_That_ would have been cool.

>We also determined that Slytherin house is called Draco in Hungarian.  No
>idea if they changed Draco Malfoy's name or not.

The situation seems to beg for Vlad, no?

Adamantius