[Sca-cooks] Biscuits??

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 12 13:02:59 PDT 2003

Period biscuits are yeast raised. No baking powder.

Do you still want  to make yeast raised small loaves
that are like rolls? Or do you want  biscuit recipes by name
which are flat cakes in most cases?

There are a lot of Elizabethean/Stuart recipes that are biscuits or
biskets. A really detailed explanation is offered by Karen Hess
in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery which contains
Tudor-Jacobean recipes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway