[Sca-cooks] Biscuits??

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 12 13:16:26 PDT 2003

It occurs to me that I should have explained that if you
want something like a quick bread modern biscuit that's
made from a pre-1700 recipe--- it's going to have to be
yeast raised. (But you can in fact take a yeast bread and make
rolls that are rolled and cut in circles and end up with something
like a modern Southern biscuit. And there are are  Southern
recipes that do include or use yeast, like Angel Biscuits.)

When one encounters something called a "biskit" in an
early recipe, it's almost always a flat twice baked hard cake.
Think ship's biscuits.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Johnnae