[SCA-cooks] Kippers and Toad-in-the-hole

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed May 14 09:38:07 PDT 2003

Also sprach Jeanne Papanastasiou:
>Down south we call 'em Eggs in a nest.

That's a different dish, although some people do use that name.
English toad-in-the-hole involves meat (originally, I believe,
shredded leftover roast with some jus/gravy) reheated in a small
casserole dish in a hot oven, then topped with Yorkshire pudding
batter and put back in the oven. The pudding puffs up, except where
the meat is touching it, causing it to look like a sort of dimpled
brown mound with meat inside. Nowadays it is often made with sausage
meat...

>  HATE LOATHE Kippers!
>
>Stink up your whole fridge!

Interesting. There's no accounting for taste, and I wouldn't dispute
this opinion, except to say that I wonder if you have a similar
objection to country ham, which can do the same.

I confess to having a shameful liking for kipper fillets in a can...
not as good, but also leaving no souvenir aroma. As for the stink
question when cooking the genuine article, people who know about this
stuff put their money on poaching them in a frying pan of cold water
(rather than using dry heat in that same pan), then draining and
buttering them when hot...

Adamantius