[SCA-cooks] Kippers and Toad-in-the-hole

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 14 11:14:17 PDT 2003

:Also sprach Jeanne Papanastasiou:
 HATE LOATHE Kippers!>

> >Stink up your whole fridge!

"Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" replied--
Interesting. There's no accounting for taste, and I wouldn't dispute

> this opinion, except to say that I wonder if you have a similar
> objection to country ham, which can do the same.
> I confess to having a shameful liking for kipper fillets in a can...
> not as good, but also leaving no souvenir aroma. As for the stink
> question when cooking the genuine article, people who know about this
> stuff put their money on poaching them in a frying pan of cold water
> (rather than using dry heat in that same pan), then draining and
> buttering them when hot...
> Adamantius-

The kipper recipe was a poached one which Alan Davidson pointed
out to Martha was the method that Jane Grigson used. A lot of places
in the UK would serve them grilled with or without tomatoes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis