[Sca-cooks] 16th c German Recipes Help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 14 22:33:39 PDT 2003

Cera asked:
> I've been asked to do a feast in June (my first in the SCA for someone
> else
> - face grinning from end to end). My present research is in Irish foods
Perhaps this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section of the Florilegium
might be of interest:
fd-Ireland-msg    (41K)  8/21/02    Medieval Irish food. references.
recipes.
> recipes but the person who hired me has a more German persona, thus I
> would
> like to cook a remove in period German. This won't be such a stretch
> for me
> since that's pretty much what I grew up with. I will be cooking on an
> open fire during a camp event.
Check this file in the the same FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Germany-msg   (106K)  6/ 1/01    Medieval and Period German food.
Cookbooks.
> I=92m already thinking about Krautfuter stew since I can document the
> ingredients in period
What kind of stew is this? Please be aware that just because the
ingredients were period, it doesn't mean a food dish created out of
them is period. Hamburgers are an oft cited example. Most of the
ingredients are period, but there is no evidence that the sandwich
itself is. Stew may not be as obviously non-period but we have
discussed several differances between a typical period stew and what
people think of today as a stew. One of the big differances appears to
be the variety of vegetables included now, compared to then.
> and I have a period redacted recipe for apple
> torte
Please post this, preferably with the original recipe.
> (same as plum torte). Plus, on the suggestion of the hirer, fire
> roasted
> beef on a spit.
There are these files in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
roast-meats-msg   (96K)  2/ 2/03    Hints and period recipes for beef
roasts.
roast-pork-msg    (52K) 12/30/02    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval
recipes.

> Any suggestions for recipes I could consider (please remember we're
> camping
> with limited tools). The recipes can be in German since I can read the
> language.
That opens up a lot of possibilities that aren't there for those of us
who speak only English.
> One suggestion has been to include strawberries as they are in
> season at the time.
You might find this file in the FOOD-FRUITS section of interest:
strawberries-msg  (45K)  9/ 5/01    Period strawberries. Recipes.
> Unfortunately, suggesting certain books to look at
> will
> not work this time, feast is in June, my small library's interlibrary
> loan
> takes forever (at times months) and I still have to test everything I
> consider making first.
Hopefully these files in the Florilegium and on other websites that
folks have mentioned will help. If needed, ask here and folks might be
able to send you any recipes that don't have complete text that are
mentioned in the Florilegium or elsewhere.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com