[Sca-cooks] 16th c German Recipes Help

Cera Chonaill cera_chonaill at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 06:21:31 PDT 2003

>>I=92m already thinking about Krautfuter stew since I can document the
>>ingredients in period
>What kind of stew is this? Please be aware that just because the
>ingredients were period, it doesn't mean a food dish created out of
>them is period. Hamburgers are an oft cited example. Most of the
>ingredients are period, but there is no evidence that the sandwich
>itself is. Stew may not be as obviously non-period but we have
>discussed several differances between a typical period stew and what
>people think of today as a stew. One of the big differances appears to
>be the variety of vegetables included now, compared to then.

A number of you have commented on this, so let me clarify what I considered
document ingredients are for the later period where cookbook sources are
more available. If I know a food type is period I look for recipes that
include that food type and how it was prepared. Within those recipes and
others I look at how they put various ingredients together. In this case,
with krautfuter stew, I can document most of the ingredients from another
stew recipe and the natural inclusion of the meat in stews and the last
ingredients I can now document in period, thanks to the help of the list,
but as of yet have not found recipes off. Oh by the way, krautfuter (which
is only an idea to make depending on the other dishes choosen) is an old
reference to sauerkraut. Krautfuter Stew is a very simple one pot dishes
with very few ingredients that is easy to make over a campfire.

In Service,

Cera