[Sca-cooks] Byzantine/Ottoman event in Australia

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat May 17 00:23:10 PDT 2003

For some odd reason when I forward or reply the whole text isn't always
getting picked up- here's a cut-and-paste of the whole thing:

_______
>The 29th of this month marks the 550th anniversary of the fall of the
Byzantine capital of Constantinple to the Ottoman Turks in 1453, with
broad-reaching consequences for the whole of Europe.

>To mark the anniversary, and to celebrate the empires which preceded and
followed the event, the Greek and Turkish communities in Melbourne,
Australia have got together to put on a weekend of lectures, art, music and
displays, on the 31st of May and the 1st of June.

>Lecturers from Latrobe and Melbourne Universities and elsewhere will be
giving papers. Full information, including the programme of events, is
available at http://www.oeac.org.au/1453/

>This is the first time the two communities have worked together for such
an event anywhere in the world, and is a mark of the large and vibrant
Greek and Turkish communities in Melbourne.

>As the Anglo-Saxons had a considerable connection with Byzantium and
Constantinople via the Varangian Guards, this may be of interest to
AngloSaxon scholars.