[Sca-cooks] Re: Pulled Sugar

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 17 07:12:54 PDT 2003

Greetings.  I see two different questions here.  Boiled sugar
(poured into molds) was done as early as the 13th century and there
is a recipe in the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook which is in one of
Duke Cariadoc's volumes.  There is also a recipe for "sugar plate"
in Form of Curye.  This isn't sugar paste, but is a boiled sugar
syrup poured into plate form.

Pulled sugar is something else, although it starts with a boiled
syrup.  I haven't seen any evidence for pulled sugar within period.
What we thought was evidence was apparantly a mistranslation of
"sugar paste".

Alys Katharine