[Sca-cooks] Re: Pulled Sugar

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat May 17 18:28:22 PDT 2003

The mistranslation involved the term being
"spun sugar" when Henry III of France was really served
sugarpaste figures in Venice during his visit there in the
1570's..

The manuscript "Goud Kokery" which is section V
in Curye on Inglysch has the following:
13. To make suger plate
14. To mak penydes
15. To make ymages in suger.
This mss. is dated late 1300's.

The penydes recipe is interesting because penydes is
actually pulled and drawn out with the hands over a hook.
It was then cut with shears. See Laura Mason for description.
(Yes, this is the beginning of pulled candies.)
The question that I am after--- was this done for
ornamental sugarworks for the table or presentation?
There is an early translated 18th century apothecary work by Pomet that
I have been trying to
see. The original is dated late 17th century in France.
Mason credits it with prviding the barley sugar recipe
that is pulled. The question would be what else is included there.

There are 15th century reference to sugar figures in
Feste e Banchetti pp. 109 and 166. That's from a Roman
banquet in 1473.

I just rec'd by the way a copy of a book called:
Bittersweet. The Story of Sugar by Peter Macinnis.
It arrived today. It was published in 2002 in Australia.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway