[Sca-cooks] more on the... CAST IRON SKILLET

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun May 18 18:14:01 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Hey! Phlip has [almost] the same name as you, but spelled
> differently: Philippa. Neither to be confused with my mundane first
> name. Be that as it may, I just re-sent you Phlip's earlier post,
> which was a lot more detailed than just the passage I quoted.

Yeah, really, cuz- we really need to get our names straight- I don't think
any of us bear much resemblance to any others of us ;-) BTW- you may get two
copies, since I'm ccing this to you, in case your server is rejecting things
somehow because it doesn't like my server. I swear, the way these servers,
firewalls, spammers,  viruses, spybots, and all the rest of them carry on,
you'd think they learned from SCA politics....

> >OK... Here is another question for y'all.....
> >I've heard that anything cooked in an iron skillet picks up the iron FROM
> >the skillet and so this would be a good source of iron.  Is this so?
This
> >is why I bought a cast iron skillet.
> >
> >I am having health problems right now, one of them being anemia, so I
> >thought an iron skillet would help.  What do you think?
>
> I can't imagine it would hurt, but also can't imagine it would
> provide a really significant iron supplement to your diet.
>
> Adamantius

Well, like Adamantius, I'm not sure how much good it would do you either,
although I know Margali won't cook with cast iron because she gets too much
iron in her system from them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're
getting the right iron compounds. If it were just iron you needed, you could
swallow an occasional ball bearing, and be set for a while ;-)( I suspect
Avraham might be the one to ask. In the meantime, eat lots of high-iron
foods.

Liver is an excellent source, but it may not be an option, depending how
observant you are, but all meats are good iron sources as well. Clams and
oysters are good, too, but again, possibly not an option. Can't remember
which flavor of Jew you are, so this might not be an option during some of
your observances, but most of the beans are great- limas, pintos, navys and
kidney beans, for example. During non-passover times, enriched breads and
cereals will help- also, can Jews with health problems get an exception
during Holy Days to dietary restrictions, as the Moslems and Christans can?
I know that children, nursing or pregnant mothers and invalids don't have to
observe Ramadan or Lent.

Fruits and veggies can help, too- collard greens, spinach, and broccoli are
good, as are dried fruits- dates, raisins, prunes, like that. Vegetable iron
absorption is improved by eating the veggies with meat, and vitamin C will
help you absorn it from any source- if you wash down your iron pills with
orange juice in the morning, they'll do you more good.

What you really need, as most of us do, is a balanced diet, with lots of
different stuff in it, but knowing some of your other sensitivities, it may
be hard to achieve. One good meal for you, though, would be (fortified)
spaghetti and tomato sauce (with some hamburger in it, or meat balls), with
a spinach salad on the side.

Dunno if this helps...

Phlip

cat.