[Sca-cooks] more on the... CAST IRON SKILLET

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 18 17:25:11 PDT 2003

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
>I don't think I am getting all my posts from this list. I never got Phlip's
>original post on how to clean the skillet, but I see it in this post
>answer...... thanks Philip.

Hey! Phlip has [almost] the same name as you, but spelled
differently: Philippa. Neither to be confused with my mundane first
name. Be that as it may, I just re-sent you Phlip's earlier post,
which was a lot more detailed than just the passage I quoted.

>Yes, Master A, you'd have to have a meat skillet and a separate dairy
>skillet in a kosher home.

I assumed so. I guess I was just commenting on the fact that this
seems more like actual contamination on a molecular level than simply
rendering it "unclean", if you know what I mean.

>OK... Here is another question for y'all.....
>I've heard that anything cooked in an iron skillet picks up the iron FROM
>the skillet and so this would be a good source of iron.  Is this so?  This
>is why I bought a cast iron skillet.
>
>I am having health problems right now, one of them being anemia, so I
>thought an iron skillet would help.  What do you think?

I can't imagine it would hurt, but also can't imagine it would
provide a really significant iron supplement to your diet.

Adamantius