[Sca-cooks] CAST IRON SKILLET

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Mon May 19 03:51:35 PDT 2003

--
Do you do anything special to prepare your terra cotta plate? For instance,
does it need to be misted first? Tell me more! I'm currently building a
"raised hearth" in the front yard, whose cooking surfaces are going to
include two large terra cotta square tiles, and some other neat things from
the pottery section!

Since I don't have access to the archeological information required to some
exact replication, I'm building what I think will work, working out some
techniques, that I will then apply to re-creating some actual early and
ancient period hearths.

Esther

At 11:18 PM 5/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Adamantius writes, amongst other things:
>
>>While this is true, I think we may need to define "fried", or at
>>least maybe add sauteed, pan-broiled, baked etc. I often use my
>>largest cast-iron skillet for pizza, since I don't have one of those
>>silly oven stone thingies, and it does a truly excellent job for that.
>
>Pizza stone? Nobody needs a pizza stone!  I've been baking pizza for
>years in a terracotta saucer from the garden area of Home Depot.  A
>little oil, a little corn meal for 'mold release' and they work
>mahhvelously. But I have to admit, that's a novel use for a seasoned
>cast-iron skillet.
>
>My own skillet has been in use-- well seasoned-- for about 40 years. It
>was a moving-out giftie from my esteemed parents, since it's almost as
>old as I am. What I would really like is a well-seasoned cast iron crepe
>pan...
>
>ciorstan

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.