[Sca-cooks] CAST IRON SKILLET

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon May 19 06:19:00 PDT 2003

> Sounds good. But it does sound like you'd concede that a better
> product is achieved with a heavy pan that holds the heat (and does so
> fairly evenly) versus the standard cookie-sheet-type pizza pan. The
> question then becomes, what else can you cook, bake, fry, etc., in
> your terracotta saucer? My own kitchen needs tend to be for tools
> that don't get too specialized; I don't have room, even in my
> allegedly larger "new" kitchen, for any tool that is designed for
> only one job. I _do_ own a really nice, seasoned, mild steel, cheapo
> restaurant-type omelette pan (we don' need no steenkeeng non-stick
> fripperies), but lately I'm just as likely to use my smallest wok or
> a cast-iron skillet to make an omelette.

The King Arthur Flour demonstrators suggest 4 terracotta tiles from the
garden store, placed in a suitable cookie pan. :) This works for baking
bread and pizza, and also for warming up frozen pizza. May be good for
other things too, but at least it stores easily!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"We are often considered society's gatekeepers, but librarians are actually
the gateways. We are the one profession dedicated to ensuring the right to
know. We must never lose sight of this mission despite the seductive siren
songs of our information age's mythology." -- Patricia Glass Schuman