[Sca-cooks] sources and cookery LONG

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 21 08:12:38 PDT 2003

As requested--

Read the rules. Take a good look at the judging rules.

A good example of what might be required  are the
Cooking Single Dish guidelines posted for Calontir.
http://artsci.calontir-rush.org/criteria/cooksd.html

COOKING, SINGLE DISH - NOVICE

NOTE: More documentation is required for Cooking entries than other
categories because the written information is used for judging both in the
Documentation and the Discussion sections of the criteria. Recipe must
be included and if not in modern English, it should be translated to modern
English. An entry must consist of a single dish. The dish may be a beverage,
but should not be an alcoholic beverage brewed or fermented by the entrant
(to eliminate problems with Brewing vs. Cooking criteria).

DOCUMENTATION (0-4 points)
Give one point for each of the following items that is present:
Identification/Description of dish.
Approximate time period and location/origins of dish.
Lists recipe for dish.
Cites at least one reference (primary or secondary) to the dish,
relating to either the period use of such (i.e. "...they served meat pies...")
OR period method of making them.

DISCUSSION (1-6 points)
In this section the recipe area of the documentation (and any explanations) is
considered.

1: Recipe is an exact copy of a recipe developed (redacted) by someone else.
2: Recipe developed (redacted) by someone else, but the entrant has made minor
changes.
3: Recipe developed (redacted) by someone else, but the entrant has made major
changes.
4: Recipe was redacted by the entrant, but there are major flaws in the
redaction.
5: Recipe was redacted by the entrant with only minor, or no, flaws in the
redaction.
(All ingredients should be period or a reason given for a non-period
substitution.)
6: Recipe was redacted by the entrant (with only minor, or no, flaws in the
redaction)
with an attempt at authenticity by using period equipment, OR using all period
ingredients,
etc. OR the entrant combined elements from several recipes or several period
cooking
procedures to develop a new dish. (Minor flaws acceptable.)
NOTE: Extra points may be given for a special attempt to duplicate period
methods and ingredients.

AUTHENTICITY (0-4 points)
Determine how period the entry is based on the information supplied
in documentation and discussion and/or on your own knowledge.

0: Entry blatantly modern
1: Modern dish with ingredients all known in period
2: #1 plus dish "feels period"
3: Dish is period, with reasons for ingredient substitution given
4: Dish is authentic, any ingredient substitutions are period, preparation
procedures approximate period procedures
(but use of modern equipment should not be counted off)
NOTE: Extra points may be given for a special effort to develop
a period form of presentation, recreate period preparation methods
and period ingredients.

The key here is do the research, document it, discuss it fully
in a convincing manner and then the authenticity points follow.
So here there are three aspects of points being awarded on the research.
That's half the score---

The other things being judged are
COMPLEXITY (1-5 points)
WORKMANSHIP (1-5 points)
QUALITY (1-6 points)

Now Calontir breaks down into a more advanced Intermediate level
with more suggestions and requirements. And there is a highest
ADVANCED LEVEL which requires even more work.

COOKING, SINGLE DISH - ADVANCED
NOTE: More documentation is required for Cooking entries than other
categories because the written information is used for judging both in the
Documentation and the Discussion sections of the criteria. Recipes must
be included and those not in modern English should be translated to
modern English. Each section has a heading which provides critical
information for judging. The definition of a period source is material
which was written in period or was written earlier than period, but can
be documented as available in period. A source is period if it is
accurately quoted (and the original reference is cited) in a secondary
source. A source may be a recipe, journals describing foods eaten,
letters, books on manners, etc. While sufficient information to
support the points being made and provide the relevant historical and
cultural background to the dish(es) is critical, concisely presented
material indicates the entrant has understood the material well enough to
avoid extraneous or tangential information. An entry must consist of a
single dish.

DOCUMENTATION (0-4 points)
This section addresses the scholarly aspect of the documentation.
Look for information on the historical origins of the dish and how
the modern recipe may differ from the period recipe. This may include
any information which helps demonstrate an understanding of period
cooking philosophy, choice of herbs, selection of ingredients, garnishing
techniques, manner of service, etc. You should be able to see what
research the cook has done into how the dish would have been
prepared and presented in period.

DISCUSSION (0-4 points)
Look for information on the differences and similarities between
the original and redacted recipes. There should be a comparison between
the original preparation and cooking techniques and the modern ones used.
In other words, if the cook used chicken instead of pheasant and roasted
it in the oven instead of on a spit over a fire, that information should be
included. Points may not be taken away for substitution of hard-to-find
or expensive period ingredients, but selection of alternatives must show
an understanding of period or period-like substitutes. Discussion considers
what the cook did to prepare the dish and why it was done that way.

AUTHENTICITY (0-4 points)
Determine how period the entry is based on the information supplied
in documentation and discussion and/or on your own knowledge.
For instance, scores of up to 2 may be given when there has been no
documentation OR discussion to support authenticity, but the judge
recognizes the product as most probably authentic. There must be
an original source(s) and redacted recipe to score a 4 in this section.
The effects of special efforts to achieve authenticity of presentation
(including the form of presentation, additional decoration, etc.)
should be judged here. Special efforts in producing the dish
(such as raising the meat, growing the herbs, etc.) are not
judged here, but should be judged in complexity.

The question then becomes how can you supply that information
or that level of research.
Other than that---
Follow the rules  for number of pages or
number of words required. Do they have a limit on number of
pages? (If they require notecards, then print out the information
and cut and neatly paste the info on the notecards. If they want it
all in Times Roman 12, do it.)

Prepare it all in advance. Word Process and  Spell-check it.
Print off and bring along enough copies.

Documentation works best and is easiest if you keep at it as you
develop the entry. Back documenting an entry can be almost impossible.
It's better to read and research first and then keep doing that
as you go into the kitchen to cook.

Hope this helps---

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I've only really entered one