Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 11:08:50 PDT 2003

Generys ferch Ednuyed wrote:

> As far as the budget - How do they do budgets out there? Here, it basically
> works so that feast is supposed to break even in and of itself - your budget
> is equal to the feast cap times the feast price... so anyway, if this feast
> is cheaper than the others, than people won't be surprised if it's a little
> smaller?

The autocrat announced this whole fait-accompli complete with a budget of $1,500
for food, and I know they are planning a 'box lunch' type arrangement for $5, so
my guess is that would take about a third of the budget.  Either they get dinner
for 100 [we could have sold 300 tickets easily last year, if we had the room for
them] or I get a slashed budget.  I typically budget $10 per paying diner for a
major feast such as this.  I'm still working on my reputation here and I won't
do some scaled-back snack when the event truly calls for a Meal Fit For A King,
literally.  I'm trying to figure out what to do;  I want to be a team player but
I won't let them force me to do a mediocre meal.  Or:  is my next challenge to
do a boffo, razzle-dazzle extravaganza on the halved budget?  Am I up to this
challenge?

I've told my mother [translating terms like "autocrat" as "event producer"] and
she agrees with me.  That helps a little.

Selene