[Sca-cooks] Cornflour? In Apicius? Moo-ooo-ooo

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 22 14:33:21 PDT 2003

Actually if one reads the introduction to The Roman Cookery
Book, Flower and Rosenbaum talk about the question of
starches on pp.27-28.
"...amulum. We have translated this word of the sake of convenience
as 'cornflour,' for this is the starch most frequently used for this
purpose
to-day. The amulum was, however, wheat-starch."
They also cite Pliny's recipe.
So actually their explanation was there all along.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway