[Sca-cooks] Cornflour? In Apicius? Moo-ooo-ooo

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 22:38:22 PDT 2003

johnna holloway wrote:
>Actually if one reads the introduction to The Roman Cookery
>Book, Flower and Rosenbaum talk about the question of
>starches on pp.27-28.
>"...amulum. We have translated this word of the sake of convenience
>as 'cornflour,' for this is the starch most frequently used for this
>purpose to-day. The amulum was, however, wheat-starch."
>They also cite Pliny's recipe.
>
>So actually their explanation was there all along.

Yeah, well, i was diving into the recipes. Then i "accidentally" read
the intro this morning and noticed they explained their usage of
"cornflour". So i feel a bit silly.

But thanks to all who dove in here...

Anahita
BTW, the Subject line comes from a local diary product distributor,
Berkeley Farms. Their advertising tag line was (may still be) "Farms
in Berkeley? Moo-ooo-ooo" There actually is a significant diary
region about 1 hour north of here, but, well, not in Berkeley