Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 16:20:15 PDT 2003

I'm calming down a bit here.  The autocrat is still in training herself and I have to let the appropriate people deal with her.

Ru wrote:

> One final thing:  You comment about "still building your reputation" kind of sets the hair on the back of my neck on end.  You don't build a good reputation by cherry-picking your projects.  You build it by living up to your commitments, working well (or at least working things out) with the people around you and than producing a quality result under whatever circumstances you are handed.  A budget with 8 months to plan for is far easier than the kitchen missing the racks in the oven, with half the burners dead, no refrigeration, pouring rain on the leaky tarp you are cooking under, etc.  You will certainly lose face if you back out now.  Talk to the autocrat, explain the realities of what is and isn't possible (mostly in terms of the number of people you will feed and its relationship to the budget) and than get to work.  Yes, for $10 a head you can serve extravagant food and lots of it, but you will impress people even more if you feed them great period food for half that price.

I'm sorry if I misspoke myself or rankled anyone.  I've got a good rep and have managed some minor miracles of munchie-tude.  I'll cook for just about anyone who asks and move mountains to honor my commitments. [There was this little Walkning Pneumonia incident about 2 years ago...]  There was just something about this situation that looked like I was going to be made out to be a Has-Been.  If I don't look out for myself, nobody else will.

Many thanks for those of you who made thyme to make sage advice <g>  I'm going back to my Shakespeare Cliff Notes and BUTTER IN THE BARD quote-book now.

Selene