[Sca-cooks] Feast stewart at the crossroads

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 22 17:04:16 PDT 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> No one will remember a feast steward who said 'no thanks' to a halved
> budget. But, they will remember a fabulous feast, espcially when they
learn
> the hardship that was presented to the cooks, if they ever do learn of it.

and

> One final thing:  You comment about "still building your reputation" kind
of > sets the hair on the back of my neck on end.  You don't build a good
> reputation by cherry-picking your projects.  You build it by living up to
your > commitments, working well (or at least working things out) with the
people > around you and than producing a quality result under whatever
> circumstances you are handed.

Well, I'm thinking that this is a matter that we need to discuss, one and
all.

I agree, we don't need to be cherry picking- a low budget feast deserves our
very best efforts, just as a high budget feast does.

BUT...

I think we also have a responsibility to ourselves and our feasters on the
matter of commitment.

If I commit to providing a feast for X number of people, for Y dollars, on Z
theme, and the rules get changed- suddenly I'm expected to provide a feast
for X times 2 people, for Y divided by 2 dollars, on a completely different
theme, then my original commitment has been voided. Period.

Now, I may choose to go ahead, or I may choose not to- that's something
entirely different, but if you change the rules, I'm not required to play
your new game- and we all know I'm a hard head- I don't care- I can only do
what I think is right, and I WILL do that, despite any one else's opinion.

I mean, think, guys. If you hire on at $10/hour, to work 40 hours per week,
guaranteed, and at the end of the first week, the boss says, "Well, we only
worked you 20 hours this week, and I'm going to only pay you $5 per hour",
so your paycheck goes from $400 to $100, what are you going to tell that
boss about working the next week?

Yes, we're volunteers, but that doesn't mean that our time and efforts, or
our commitments, are any less valuable than they would be in the mundane
work force.

I feel we have a responsibility to ourselves to value ourselves and our
time. Volunteering to be a school crossing guard does not mean you
volunteered to be the target at a turkey shoot.

What say you all?

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,