[Sca-cooks] Re: Feast stewart at the crossroads

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 18:22:42 PDT 2003

Thank you. I don't know Los Angeles - I'm on the other coast... but here
in the East I've seen people from rural areas who can't understand why
our events in the New York City area cost more than theirs do. It's all
put down to mismanagement on our parts, not rent that's three or four
times as high, higher food costs, etc.

On the one hand, I've purchased verjus in a supermarket I shop in
frequently, here in Manhattan.  (They haven't had it recently, though,
Adamantius and Brekke...) On the other hand, all my prices are higher,
largely because the market itself is paying higher rent!

I don't think cost is even really the main issue, here. It is more the
idea that commitment is only valid from one side... Yes, Selene
committed to do a certain feast. That is no longer the feast she is
being asked to do. The theme, as well as the budget, has been changed.
Now, she may well choose to do it - she sounds as if she is leaning in
that direction - but it is, and must be, a choice. Since all the kitchen
problems described are still apt to turn up, and she will take any such
in stride...  And we all know about last minute emergencies, and I'm
sure she will take them in stride...

We can't get into a situation where you can promise the cook anything,
and it is meaningless. Where we are bound, but no one else is. Yes,
changes happen. Sites are lost, ovens break, events suddenly become
Royal Progresses, all kinds of things happen at the last minute, but
that's not what she is talking about. She is talking about agreeing to
do a feast that interested her, and having it changed to one that does
not, without being consulted, while they still have time to find a cook
who does want to do it. If we say the cook is bound as by contract, then
the contract is binding on both sides - that's the legal nature of a
contract. And I don't think we want to start having to sign contracts.
We just want to know that, when we agree to certain conditions, those
are the conditions we will deal with, barring emergency!

AEllin