Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 17:33:07 PDT 2003

Jonathan and Rebecca Barber wrote:
> My lord, I never intended to question her reputation or skills.  I
> was questioning that $10/head is "normal" for a feast and that
> anything less will create a "mediocre meal"/"scaled back snack".  You
> have perhaps been blessed with diners willing to pay $10/head but
> that isn't the case everywhere.
[snip]
> High standards are an admirable things, but you can have high
> standards without a high price tag.

Not to keep this going unnecessarily, but remember that there is quite a
variance in cost of living in the Known World.  Los Angeles (Selene's
stomping grounds) may not be quite as bad as Hawaii or Las Vegas, but it's
still quite expensive compared to much of the rest of the country.  Southern
California is blessed with an abundance of fresh, high quality meats and
produce, but we pay for the privilege, even at our wholesalers and big box
stores.

-Lorenz, denizen of Northern Caid, which fortunately isn't quite as
expensive as the big city.