Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 08:19:24 PDT 2003

> > I'd really like to hear the opinions of those more experienced, but off the
> > top of my head I'd guess this has to do with a couple factors.
> >
> > One is that the feast cost at most events is often large in proportion to
> > the event cost.  A $10 (or $15 or $20) food cost for a $5 event seems
> > disproportionately large on first glance, regardless of the economic
> > realities involved.

1.  What's the problem with the proportion?  Say a site costs 500 dollars, divided
by 100 people that's $5 each.  Feeding these people costs, say, $10 per person,
why should they not pay for what they get?  If the labor had not been generously
donated by the kitchen crew and servers, it would cost at least twice that much.
Plus tips.

2.  If they want to eat on the cheap, the site is in the middle of "Old Town"
Pasadena and there is no dearth of cheap eateries and expensive ones too.  $8-10
per person is comparable with a decent, if not fancy, restaurant in the area.

3.  There are other opportunities for trying period cuisine throughout the year at
Baronial anniversaries, arts demonstrations, camping events and other gatherings
at a more modest price.  For the able-bodied "starving student" there is the
option of working as a server, who [1] gets to eat early, [2] I always make some
special goody for my workers that the rest of the populace doesn't get, usually a
non-period dessert and [3] DOES NOT PAY TO WORK, even if I have to pay their site
fee out of my own pocket.

4.  Caid is full of Southern California people [oddly enough] and is therefore
well-known to be highly image conscious.  Twelfth Night is and should be the /non
plus ultra/ event of the year with the very best in costuming, dance, performance
and culinary art.

My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

Susan Fox-Davis