Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Thu May 22 19:44:03 PDT 2003

> (Getting all of this out of my system before heading home to start cooking
> for Potrero War...)
>
> I'd really like to hear the opinions of those more experienced, but off
> the
> top of my head I'd guess this has to do with a couple factors.
>
> One is that the feast cost at most events is often large in proportion to
> the event cost.  A $10 (or $15 or $20) food cost for a $5 event seems
> disproportionately large on first glance, regardless of the economic
> realities involved.
>
> Perhaps more significant, though, is the Prix Fixe nature of most feasts.
> People who do many events on a tight budget can't decide to save a few
> bucks
> and order just burgers or salad at a feast the way they could in a
> restaurant.  It's an all-or-nothing proposition.  Perhaps something we
> cooks
> should consider more for large events...
>
> -Lorenz

I don't think I've ever seen a disparity that high between site fee and
feast, unless there was something special (ie a Kingdom level event that
happened to get a free site, so the only event fees were for portapotties
and such, however there was still a kingdom-level event type feast).

However, yes, the feast is a "Prix Fixe" type thing.  However, no offense to
those on a fixed budget, I started playing when I was a college student so I
do understand, but the feast is an optional part of the event - you can
always bring something else to eat - true, you can't be as social, but...
Also, in my part of the kingdom (Atlantia), many feasts also have a "below
the salt" option, which usally runs 3-4 dollars and has like soup and bread
and maybe some meat, etc.  That's also an effect of rather small feast
halls, but anyway...

I guess it just bothers me when people complain about an 8 dollar feast -
when they're getting a 5 course meal with 6 different meat dishes, including
lamb and venison (I had this happen to me recently - so it's kind of on my
mind), when I have seen them cheerfully go to Ruby Tuesday's or something
and pay more than that for chicken tenders and fries.

Generys