[Sca-cooks] Bard on a Bad Budget

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Fri May 23 03:27:20 PDT 2003

--
At 01:05 PM 5/22/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> > The autocrat announced this whole fait-accompli complete with a
> > budget of $1,500 for food, and I know they are planning a 'box lunch'
> > type arrangement for $5, so my guess is that would take about a third
> > of the budget.  Either they get dinner for 100 [we could have sold
> > 300 tickets easily last year, if we had the room for them] or I get a
> > slashed budget.

First, they get a feast for 100. Or, every ticket to the feast they sell
_after_ they've made $1,000.00 goes straight to the feast budget. (At least
$10 of it anyway, based on your other projections.)

Here's another idea that might work: Make the feast the "actual" wedding
feast of Theseus and Hippolita. (Wow, neither of this is in the spell
checker. Go figure!) Get St. Genesius to put on the "rude" play of the
laborers, have the King and the Queen be the Duke and Duchess -- and then
ask the local baronies and groups to each present, or better yet,
_sponsor_, a dish in the feast as their "wedding present".

Of course, I realize that may cause a logistical nightmare, etc., but
perhaps there is something in there that can be used.

Another suggestion -- cut down on the number of courses served. Go for a
groaning board, but just once.

Make your theme the Scottish Play, serve Haggis as the main dish, and put
the autocrat in the part of Banquo? (Or early period Scottish -- less
subtlety, but good, solid food well cook'd, with the play wrapped around it?)

Do Harry V, before Agincourt, and serve forth leeks as all that's left from
the siege stores?  ;-) (Can't help it -- I AM Welsh, you know.)

Do a fairy feast, and everyone gets pease blossom sized portions? (Hey, it
worked for nouvelle cuisine!)

Having had some time to think about it, what are your thoughts and
inclinations?

Hugs,
Esther
--