Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri May 23 06:24:17 PDT 2003

> Any time I'm cooking for a function, SCA or otherwise, I always set budgets
> on a per-plate basis.  Trying to set a fixed budget penalizes you (and, by
> extension, the entire event staff) for success -- a large turnout means an
> inferior feast, just the opposite of what any sensible person would want.

Generally, down here, we have a feast cap. So, the autocrat says, "150
people at $5 a head" and you have 150 x $5 to work with. If the autocrat
doesn't get 150 people, they can negotiate it down with you, or if they
get more, they can ask you to consider more seats (but they have to give
you more money). But you have a fixed budget and a fixed number to prepare
for, even if they don't all show up.

I briefly considered bidding for the feast for a new event, but not only
did someone else give evidence she wants to try, but we were unable to
explain to the autocrat the concept that the feast should be capped at
such-and-such a number.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"We are often considered society's gatekeepers, but librarians are actually
the gateways. We are the one profession dedicated to ensuring the right to
know. We must never lose sight of this mission despite the seductive siren
songs of our information age's mythology." -- Patricia Glass Schuman