Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Sun May 25 20:38:56 PDT 2003

   Could you maybe do a few "subtlties" featuring foods that were really
rare and weird - but are common as dirt now (I'm thinking of the banana
found in the garbage dump in London, and the stories of Drake (?) planting
potatoes in his garden and things of that nature) - so you could bring out
these teeny, tiny little bits of "weird food for the King", which ended up
being dirt-ordinary for us - as a learning/teaching tool, it might be fun
and your presentation-script could maybe spice up a menu you're not going to
have as much fun with... heck - if it really is "Shakespear" - the Fairy
Queen's dinner might be a fun thing to try to replicate.

   (Not much help, I know, but like you, I *hate* having my gears shifted
for me into something I'm not really interested in. So a spice of "evil"
gets me over the hump... and "bananas as weird food", maybe dressed up and
served, ah - sliced and fried? I mean, here's this odd sweet-tasting thing
in the market - how *would* you prepare the expensive bugger? Do we have any
idea what they did with it, other than throw it away?)

Rosine