[Sca-cooks] quince with meat/veg

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 08:07:10 PDT 2003

On 26 May 2003, at 16:46, Tonkin, Rebecca (PIRSA-SARDI) wrote:

> Hello:
> Does anyone know of any recipes or references to using quinces in period
> with meat or vegetables ? I have many sweet recipes, quinces in pastry,
> cotignac, etc, but I have also come across a few mentions (unreferenced!) of
> quinces served with roasted meats. I am unsure whether this is as a sauce, or if
> they are used as stuffing, or what. I have found the Andalusian recipes for meat
> stew with quinces, I wondered if there was more.

Quinces continued to be used in Spanish cuisine.  I don't know if you have yet looked
at any other Spanish sources.  My translation of the 1529 edition of the "Libro de
Guisados" is online at:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.text

Take a look at the following recipes:
20. POTTAGE OF MARINATED MUTTON WHICH IS CALLED JANETE
OF MUTTON
21. POTTAGE OF MARINATED HEN WHICH IS CALLED JANETE OF
HENS  (I served this one at a feast, and it was popular, even though I made the
sauce too thin.)
160. MARINATED MUTTON  (I've made this for myself.  A nice sweet-sour
flavor.)
165. POTTAGE CALLED PEACH DISH  (This one can also be made with quinces.  I
suspect that the inclusion of drippings from the roast on the spit means that it was
intended as a sauce for roasted meats.)

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net