[Sca-cooks] for the botanists-

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 26 11:03:23 PDT 2003

Common names bite again.

The acacias are genus Acacia.  The mimosas are genus Mimosa.  There is a
yellow flowered acacia which is sold under the common name mimosa, but is
not one.  The silk tree, Albizzia julibrissan, is also referred to as a
mimosa.

Mimosas and acacias are mostly sub-tropical and tropical origin, so I
question their natural occurance in Poitou, but I wouldn't absolutely say
nay without deeper research.  There is a possibility of their introduction
during and after Roman times, although I find no reference in Pliny or other
later sources.

The acacias are best known for lac, catechu, and gum arabic among other
products.

Bear