Feast stewart at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled sugar

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 10:46:45 PDT 2003

> > (Getting all of this out of my system before heading home to start
>cooking
> > for Potrero War...)
> >
> > I'd really like to hear the opinions of those more experienced, but off
> > the
> > top of my head I'd guess this has to do with a couple factors.
> >
> > One is that the feast cost at most events is often large in proportion
> > the event cost.  A $10 (or $15 or $20) food cost for a $5 event seems
> > disproportionately large on first glance, regardless of the economic
> > realities involved.
> >
> > Perhaps more significant, though, is the Prix Fixe nature of most
>feasts.
> > People who do many events on a tight budget can't decide to save a few
> > bucks
> > and order just burgers or salad at a feast the way they could in a
> > restaurant.  It's an all-or-nothing proposition.  Perhaps something we
> > cooks
> > should consider more for large events...
> >
> > -Lorenz
>
>I don't think I've ever seen a disparity that high between site fee and
>feast, unless there was something special (ie a Kingdom level event that
>happened to get a free site, so the only event fees were for portapotties
>and such, however there was still a kingdom-level event type feast).
>
>However, yes, the feast is a "Prix Fixe" type thing.  However, no offense
>those on a fixed budget, I started playing when I was a college student so
>do understand, but the feast is an optional part of the event - you can
>always bring something else to eat - true, you can't be as social, but...
>Also, in my part of the kingdom (Atlantia), many feasts also have a "below
>the salt" option, which usally runs 3-4 dollars and has like soup and bread
>and maybe some meat, etc.  That's also an effect of rather small feast
>halls, but anyway...
>
>I guess it just bothers me when people complain about an 8 dollar feast -
>when they're getting a 5 course meal with 6 different meat dishes,
>including
>lamb and venison (I had this happen to me recently - so it's kind of on my
>mind), when I have seen them cheerfully go to Ruby Tuesday's or something
>and pay more than that for chicken tenders and fries.
>
>Generys

Well, I'll chime in here for a minute.
As Generys has pointed out, that site fees vary quite a bit, thus impacting
the gate fee.  The gate fee and the feast fee (based on the budget and
region) should really be looked at as apples and oranges.  Sometimes you
just get really lucky on site fees.  And sometimes you get really dogged on
feast fees.
Generally I am in the kitchen of whatever event I'm at and even if I am
eating for free in the kitchen,  I will pay the cost of feast anyway to
support the event and the Barony if the feast does not sell out.  Sometimes
I have paid the price, not played in the kitchen and found a wonderous feast
to please me.  Sometimes I have ended up looking at baked potatoes and ears
of corn and a chicken leg.  Once I ended up at something we *still* refer to
as "the snack" that cost about $12.  It really comes down to what you grow
to expect for your money I suppose.  If I go to Ruby Tuesday's I expect
baked potatoes and corn.  If I get them at a feast, it really doesn't make
any difference if I paid $3.00 or $10.00, I will not be happy.  Not at all.
I love to support other cooks.  I am simple-minded enough to think they will
be giving at least a good shot at something period.
Here in Bright Hills we have ways for the short of change to trade service
for food.  I suppose we are not unique in that.  But we also have a few
folks who offer to be "tapped" for someone(s) who have hit a low spot in
their finances.  It all comes out in the IRS after all.   Our guild also has
a quality reputation for putting on a good feast so folks who come and pay
_know_ they will be getting their money's worth.  I have often heard folks
say they came only because they read we were cooking.
Olwen