[Sca-cooks] quince with meat/veg

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 27 17:30:22 PDT 2003

I didn't have time last week to explore this but
did come across this on the web--
The persistent tart flavor of quinces counteracts the greasiness in meat and
fowl
dishes in rich cuisines, notably in Germany, Latin America and the Middle East.
In
 Persian cooking, with its tradition of meats and sour fruits cooked together,
there are
 many recipes for meat and quince stews. In Britain, quince sauce is a
traditional
 accompaniment to partridge, and the French roast quail with slices of the
fruit.
The Splendid Table
http://table.mpr.org/souptonuts/farmstand_quince.html

I have always thought that one should research them by looking also to
pear recipes as it seems to me that there are recipes that say one might use
quince as a choice if they were available.

In terms of German--

15
Take a goose, stuff it with onions, peeled quinces, pears and bacon, stick it on
a spit and roast it.

68 To make a quince pie
Peel the quinces and cut the core cleanly out with a knife, fry them in fat.
After that stuff the quinces with currants, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
Afterwards take beef
marrow or finely chopped kidney suet or skimmed fat from some
other meat and put good Malavosia or Reinfal on it, sugar, cinnamon and cloves,
however it seems good
to you. The dough for the pie is found in number [sixty one].
from Sabina Welserin, found at:
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

Is this what you had in mind?

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

Nancy Kiel wrote:
Original Mediterreanean Cuisine has a receipt for lamb with quinces;
Medieval Arabic Cookery has several meat/quince receipts.