[Sca-cooks] Portuguese cookbook online

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat May 31 23:02:29 PDT 2003

> > I see that you are translating "manteiga" as butter. Brighid, in her
> > Spanish translation, discussed when the similar word in Spanish
> > should be butter and when lard. Is it unambiguous in Portuguese?
>
> I wondered about that when I was glancing through the recipes. Since I've
> never studied the Portuguese language or cuisine, I didn't want to jump to
> conclusions. In doing a word search through the document, I found several
> recipes that called for "banha" (the modern word for lard) or "banha de
> porco". In the recipe for "Almojávenas de D. Isabel de Vilhena", it says to
> use "manteiga ou banha" (manteiga OR banha). I would guess that the modern meanings
> apply for these two words.
>
> Faerisa, what say you?
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann Barony of Settmour Swamp, East
> Kingdom rcmann4 at earthlink.net

In modern terminology, yes, they are two different entities.  The fact that they used
used both terms in different recipes suggests to me that they meant two different
things in the manuscript as well.  Mind you, I can't attest to linguistic differences
of the time.  This is the original manuscript right?  Cervantes library doen't
modernize their spellings, do they?

Faerisa (trying to wind down after seeing a very late showing of X-Men 2 - finally!)