[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 6, Issue 11

tracey sawyer tfsawyer at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 5 22:34:12 PST 2003

Anybody who's actually served fish at a feast care to comment?

Margaret

*** I absolutely LOVE fish and seafood so I always include it at a feast if possible -- also some vegetarians will eat fish when they won't eat red meat.  I did a cold pickled fish dish at the Benevolence crusade which was delicious.  HM King Alaric sent the seneschal out to the kitchen on purpose to praise my fish.  It's an easy recipe.

Soused Mackerel
(The Magpie History of Food  [Tertiary Source])
I can get the publishing details if anyone wants me to.

Ingredients:

2 large mackerel, filleted (or other white fish fillets in season ... this is what I usually use).

1 large onion

1 medium cooking apple

1 t/spoon pickling spices

1 t/spoon soft brown sugar

2 bay leaves

150 ml water

1/2 t/spoon salt

1 t/spoon ground mixed spice

150 ml vinegar

Method:

Peel and slice onion.

Peel and chop apples into narrow wedges.

Roll each fish fillet around an apple slice, with the skin side outside, place the rolls close together in a smallish casserole dish so that they will not unroll.

Put the remaining apple slices and onion rings into the casserole dish.

Mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the fish. Cook in a pre-heated, cool oven (150º Celsius, Gas Mark 2) for 1 hour.

I then chilled it overnight and served it cold in it's jelly.

Also, Bowen and Thomasina Freeborn, both chefs, quite often do a salmon mousse in a fish shaped mould which is kind of like a soft pink melt in your mouth dish which doesnt really taste "fishy".  Quite delicious!.

And living on the Murray River (between NSW & Vic Australia) we have trout which the local trout farm smokes.  Pick it off the bones and eat as is... mmmmm...

These dishes always disappear as soon as they are served....

Regards, Lowry

Lady Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn ap Llewelyn   mka: Tracey Sawyer