[Sca-cooks] Cathedral building times

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 5 23:08:50 PST 2003

Margali commented:
> Actually what offends me the most is the common acceptance of the
> building of a cathedral taking a similar amount of time over 20 or 30
> years [just a figure that i vaguely remember reading that several major
> cathedrals took about that long to complete...]
I think your figure of 20 to 30 years is a bit low. You may be as much
as a magnitude off, although the fact that such construction was often
done in phases may obscure this a bit.  However, I don't have any books
that would give me these numbers handy. I think that even major
expansions could take fifty years.

For a modern example, look at the national cathedral in Washington DC.
I seem to remember that it's construction has been going on for longer
than 20 or 30 years. And that is with modern construction machines.

Cooking is generally much faster. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas