[Sca-cooks] Cathedral building times

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Thu Nov 6 00:16:21 PST 2003

> I think your figure of 20 to 30 years is a bit low. You may be as much
> as a magnitude off, although the fact that such construction was often
> done in phases may obscure this a bit.  However, I don't have any books
> that would give me these numbers handy. I think that even major
> expansions could take fifty years.

Was recently at Salisbury Cathedral - it took 20something years to build,
but it has no foundations (who thing floats on gravel). Other Cathedrals we
visited around England took a couple of hundred years to build (some 250).
Depends if you're REALLY wanting a spiffy new cathedral NOW, or it develops
from a smaller church or abbey. For example, York Minster took around 150
years. I haven't got all the brochures home yet - sent them sea-mail to
avoid the overweight baggage problem, so I can't quote exact build times.

Glenda.