[Sca-cooks] Funny Story

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 7 14:28:10 PST 2003

I just heard a funny cooking story I wanted to share.
I order food from a delivery company, and my sales rep is a former chef.  He
said he was in a cooking competition once against such notables as Evergreen
and White House folks.  He was making a Ballantine (meats wrapped and cooked
to form concentric circles when sliced).  He had a venison filet to use as
the center, but as the whole thing was assembled and ready to go, the
venison could not be found.  It being 2AM and he being desperate for a piece
of meat 18 inches long and tubular (get your minds out of the gutter), he
drove to 7-11 and bought a Slim Jim.  It worked perfectly and he won his
area, no one ever commented on the perfectly round center to his ballantine.
:)
I laughed, and told him I knew people that would appreciate that story, and
laugh with him, not at him.
Christianna