[Sca-cooks] Lembas

Ro ladyro at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 05:49:01 PST 2003

http://greenbooks.theonering.net/moonletters/recipes/files/r060102_01.html

Lembas
- submitted by Robin C. Poe
What Tolkien says about Lembas
-They contain  honey
-they are light-colored on the inside and light brown crust
-they are thin and regular-shaped. This implies they were made on some kind
of griddle iron. The closest modern equivalent is a Krumkake iron. I used a
pizzelle iron

Some other things we can guess.
They contain the fruit and maybe the flower-water of the Mallorn tree. I
substituted oranges, although kumquats or a hand of Buddha fruit might be
better.
They probably had some kind of finely ground light-colored nut in them. I
used almonds.
They contained some kind of nourishing flour. I used semolina flour, which
is a more primitive flour, and also more nourishing.
Galadriel probably used some kind of grinder to refine the ingredients. I
used a blender.

The recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or three kumquats or one large finger of a
hand of Buddha.
2 teaspoons orange flower water (optional)
3 oz blanched almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water, and
almonds in blender. Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour.
Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour and salt.
Whisk or stir until well blended. Bake lembas on a pizzelle or krumkake iron
15 seconds each or until lightly brown. You may substitute a waffle iron but
add a teaspoon of baking powder. The texture will not be quite accurate in a
waffle iron.

IS,

Ro,

Bright Hills

I know God will not give me more than I can handle.  I just wish He didn't
trust me so much.  - Mother Teresa