[Sca-cooks] That fractions problem again

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 14 23:23:37 PST 2003

Brekke commented:
> right in one; it converted back in your reply, but I re-checked the
> original anyway.
I've seen this happen before. What I believe is happening is that the
underscore is displayed  as a placeholder when there is no character
defined for a particular binary value, in this case one of the single
character fraction symbols in the font being used. However, somewhat
surprisingly, the actual binary value continues to get transferred from
program to program when cut and pasted or from incoming to outgoing
message. So the correct character does ultimately get displayed on a
system, in this case Brekke's, which uses a font with the special
character. Of course if that binary number is used to represent a
different special character then you get that displayed rather than the
fraction, which we have seen happen before on this list.

The best solution is probably not to use the fraction symbols or other
special characters that may not exist on the system at the other end.
Unfortunately, unless the option is turned off, Microsoft Word's
default is to "help you" by converting anything it can to special
characters. At least now in the more recent versions of Word they let
you turn this automatic conversion off.

I think one of the problem fonts is the "Courier New" font which
includes the fraction symbols, while the "Courier" font does not.
Windows systems seem to use the former, while Macs may not come with
that font installed, although it may be included in the Microsoft
Office programs.

So when confronted with mysterious underscores or seemly missing
characters, you might try selecting the text and converting it to a
different font.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas