[Sca-cooks] Fideos, was Novice Saffron User

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 15 08:54:12 PST 2003

Stefan wrote:
>Yes, I believe that saffron was also used as a cloth dye by the
>medieval Europeans as well. I also suspect that Master Cariadoc was
>making a joke, since he doesn't like saffron in his food.

Saffron was very expensive in Medieval Europe and it does not make a
very fast dye. I don't think it was used a great deal in Europe as a
cloth dye. It was not used much in the Middle East as a cloth dye,
because it isn't fast.

>  >The Spanish city of Valencia has a special paella, called "fideoada",
>  >where you can substitute the traditional rice for noddles.
>
>Do you know what sort of pasta is used?

Hmm-mmm, i'd assume fideos. You can find them in Mexican/Hispanic
food markets and often in the regular supermarket - check both the
pasta aisle and the "ethnic" aisle. They are fine, short, and a bit
curly and they are in a bag, not a box.

Anahita