[Sca-cooks] Emergency question about tamarind paste

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sun Nov 16 09:04:39 PST 2003

Help please!  I have a recipe that called for 1/3 c. tamarind paste
mixed with 3/4 c. water - heat in pan, push through sieve to remove
seeds, resultant puree should measure about 1 c.

I went to my local Indian grocer (awesome place, by the way, in
Montgomeryville for those of you in the area.)  I couldn't find anything
called tamarind "paste," but found tamarind "concentrate".  I figured it
would be the same or very similar, so I bought a jar.  This stuff has no
seeds, which makes my job a bit easier.  But, it's also a bit thinner
than I thought it would be.  When I read "paste" I assumed it would be
about the consistancy of peanut butter.  Instead it's more like apple
butter.

The alternative was to take fresh tamarinds and simmer them, mash and
strain the pulp and mix 1/2 c. of the pulp with 1/2 c. of the water
strained from the pot.  So, I'm guessing the result should be thinner
than applesauce but I'm not positive since I've never worked with fresh
tamarinds.

So, should I thin it down as much as the recipe calls for?

Thank you!

Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei