[Sca-cooks] Emergency question about tamarind paste

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 16 09:33:21 PST 2003

I've never worked with tamarind--what are you making? Is it possible for
you to do two batches, one thinner and one thicker? My first thought
would be to make sure you have the same amount of liquid as called for
in the recipe, but adding different amounts of water or liquid would
probably affect the strength of the tamarind flavor.  Hmmm....maybe you
could taste your concentrate straight out of the jar, and then thinned a
bit, and then thinned a bit more, and see how the taste changes.
A paste sounds thicker to my mind than a concentrate.  I'd imagine that
if you were doing a soup or stew thing with this, taste might be more
important than relative amounts of liquid, but if you were doing, oh,
bread or a pastry or something, the liquid levels would be of more
consequence....
I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now! <g>
--maire, off to do more dishes....