[Sca-cooks] Menu help! Pretty please.

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Nov 16 14:38:18 PST 2003

Ok, so I've trial cooked most of my recipes for the Spanish 'Conviviencia'
feast I'm doing in February. And I have a problem. I'm really hoping I can
get some help from the list in solving it.

We tried both the Mukhallah and the Lamb with Quinces last night. The Lamb
with Quinces (supposed to go together in the Moorish course-- ick. Ick. I
don't know what we did wrong but... ick. So that's out.

The Mukhallah was tasty but VERY sour (we made it with beef). I liked it,
but we need another non-sour dish for that course. Since I'm not an expert
on Mediterranean and/or Islamic cooking, I'm sort of feeling my way along
in the Al-Andalus manuscript.  I'm going to post my menu and see if anyone
can make suggestions for the missing dish, or at least what sort of dishes
to look for in the Al-Andalus.

Menu for Conviviencia Feast

Starters:
Olives
Figs in the French style (de Nola)
Stuffed eggs (al-Andalus)
Another Very Good French Mustard from De Nola

First Course: Christian
- White Manchet Rolls
- Pork/Cheese Sausages (Granado)
- Salmon in Casserole from De Nola
- Barley grits in chicken broth (de Nola) [vegetarian version available on
request]
- Chopped Spinach (with Bacon, almond milk, raisins, cheese) from De Nola
[vegetarian version available on request]
- Clarea de Agua

Second course: Moorish
- Pitas
- Mukhallal ('Wedding dish' of beef)
- Baked rice from de Nola [vegetarian version available on request]
- ?????
- Lentil dish [vegetarian] from Al-Andalus
- Sekanjabin

Third Course: Jewish
- Challah
- A Jewish Dish of Chicken (with stuffing) from Al-Andalus
- Eggplant stuffed with Lamb from Al-Andalus [plain eggplant available on
request]
- Chard with onions [vegetarian] - from an Inquisition account
- Chickpeas, onions, spices and honey [vegetarian] - from an Inquisition
account
- Pomegranate drink

Dessert:
- Bakalava predecessor [vegetarian]
- Quince paste [vegetarian]

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I am in a corner without being back[ed?] there and often come out
fighting."  -- James Thurber, 1960 interview with Life