[Sca-cooks] pancakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 18 22:09:53 PST 2003

  Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon commented:
> At 11:18 AM 11/17/2003 -0800, Selene Colfox wrote:
> >There is nothing non-period about pancakes or waffles!  . . .
> As long as one remembers that most recipes now in circulation,
> including
> all the ones that use baking powder or self-rising flour, are modern.
Hmmm. Okay, this makes sense. But were the period pancakes leavened
with yeast or were they left unleavened?
There is this message in the pancakes-msg file in the Florilegium:
> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:18:23 -0800
> From: "James F. Johnson" <seumas at mind.net>
> Subject: Re: Subject: Re: SC - Anthro and cooking
>
> Jenn/Yana wrote:
> > In our experience blini _are_ made using yeast, but they are
> _definitely_
>
> Most of the recipes I've seen do indeed call for a fermented pancake,
> sometimes with the batter prepared the day or night before.
>
> Wheat, rye, and buckwheat are the flours I've always heard called for
> in
> blini. I suspect the buckwheat may be more common the farther east one
> goes in Russia.
>
> I noted that 'kasha' was predominately buckwheat, but Dima told me it
> could refer to any grain: wheat, rye, barley, buckwheat, and even rice.
>
> Only once were my blini not served folded up in quarters, and that
> time,
> the blini were of the same size, they had just not been folded. Could
> be
> a regional serving practice in Chita 'Oblast.
>
> This is making me a little 'home'sick.....
>
> Seumas

But this seems to be mostly talking about blini, which I thought were
much thinner than, at least what I think of as, pancakes. But I don't
have any actual period pancake recipes or descriptions. (hint. hint :-)
)

Anyone want to write me an article on period pancakes and how they
differed from modern ones? Besides not having blueberries? Or chocolate?
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com