[Sca-cooks] pancakes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 19 06:15:43 PST 2003

>Hmmm. Okay, this makes sense. But were the period pancakes leavened
>with yeast or were they left unleavened?

Yes.  They were either leavened with yeast (barm, starter, what have you) or
were unleavened.

>But this seems to be mostly talking about blini, which I thought were
>much thinner than, at least what I think of as, pancakes. But I don't
>have any actual period pancake recipes or descriptions. (hint. hint :-)
>)
>
>Stefan

Pancakes are thin bread products which are cooked over a heat source in a
pan or griddle rather baked.  American usage usually limits pancakes to
batter breads rather than doughs.  Crepes and blinis qualify as pancakes.

Bear