[Sca-cooks] Mustard Experiment

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 24 17:23:44 PST 2003

Greetings,

It's readaction time at la casa Serena. On the menu are two mustards from
Daz buch von guter spise.

Original:

8. Another Sauce

Take mustard seeds and a quarter as much of honey, and grind it with good
vinegar. This is good for forty days.

What I did.

1/2 C Mustard seeds

2 T Honey

1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

Ground seeds in a coffee mill and then dumped them into food processor.
Added honey to food processor and whizzed a bit. Added vinegar through chute
slowly. Stopped at 1/4 C and opened to see how it was going, added the rest
of the vinegar. Transferred to bowl, stirred it up and covered in saran
wrap. It is in the fridge now.

Original:

 9. Another One

Next grind mustard seeds with one-third as much of honey, a tenth part of
anise and twice as much cinnamon, and blend it with good vinegar and put it
in a cask. It is good for three months.

What I did

2/3 C Mustard seeds

scant 1/4 C Honey

1 T + 1 pinch ground Anise

2 T + 2 pinch ground Cinnamon

2/3 + 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar

Pretty much the same as above only with the spices added. I had to open and
look at the consistancy a couple of times starting at 1/3 C vinegar the 2/3
C vinegar was still not enough so I added another 1/4 C and it seemed fine.
Same bowl and saran wrap dealie.

I am going to check them out in a couple of days and see if they need more
vinegar. I would like some opinions on what consistancy I should be going
for as far as how runny it should be. I do not care for  mustard so I have
to wait for my Hubby to get home from Minnisota to taste it and I will see
if he keels over.

This is my first wack at redacting mustard. I have made it before but I
started with mustard flour and there were bread crumbs for thickening so it
was totally different.

Glad Tidings,

Serena da Riva