[Sca-cooks] Polish Holiday Cookery book

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:30:30 PST 2003

Hi all.

After reading the review blurb about this book I decided to buy it, given
the description which states PL Holiday Cookery & Customs.  Well, it doesn't
really have much of anything about the Customs so I don't know my mom will
enjoy it as I thought she might given that description.  It does seem to
have some very good recipes that I have not heard of before.  One of the
first that caught my eye was for

Whey Soup
Pour 6 c whey (liquid left over from homemade cheese above) into pot and
heat.  Dissolve 1/4 - 1/2 c flour in 1 c milk and add to whey.  Bring to
gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly.  Salt to taste.
Crumble homemade cheese into soup bowls and drench with hot soup.  Serve
with boiled potatoes on the side.  Variation: this soup may also be
sweetended with several T sugar.

White Curd Cheese
Set a large flameproof baking dish in a warm place (on or next to a
radiator, near heating duct or furnace).  Add 1 gal whole milk and stir in 1
c fork-blended sour cream.  Let stand in warm place until fully clabbered
(1-3 days).  To keep dust and insects out, cover with cheesecloth.  When
clabbered, gently transfeer to stove and heat on very low heatr until curds
float to the top.  Switch off heat.  Do not stir or disturb.  Let stand
until cooled to room temp.  Strain through fine cheesecloth-lined sieve,
seserving the liquid (whey) that dris out.  When dripping stops, cover curds
in wieve with saucer or dish and weight it down with something heavy (a
quart jar of water) to extract more moisture.  When dripping stops, tweist
cheese into a tight ball through cheesecloth and rerigerate.  Use in any
dish calling for farmer cheese or in the whey soup.

Anyway, it looks like I got myself another cookbook and I still have to
figure something out for mom.
Olwen

THLady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds